This healthy copycat recipe for luxury food sells beans with one meat to break the fiber by 7 grams. We also reduce sugar and ketchup in this Best Sloppy Joe Recipe to save you by 12 grams of extra sugar.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 cup no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chile powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Step 1
- Grease a large non-stick coating over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking it with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned but not fully cooked, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a medium bowl, keeping the piercing in the pan.
- Step 2
- Put the beans and onions in the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about five minutes. Add chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Combine tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard and brown sugar. Return the beef to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is cooked and the sauce has grown slightly, about five minutes. Serve with buns.
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich per serving: 411 calories; protein 25.8g; carbohydrates 43.8g; diet fiber 8.4g; sugar 12.2g; 15g fat; saturated fat 4.3g; cholesterol 55.3mg; vitamin a iu 758.3IU; vitamin c 7.9mg; folate 33.1mcg; calcium 112.4mg; iron 4.8mg; magnesium 101.2mg; potassium 842.1mg; sodium 537.5mg; sugar 7g. Trade: 3 Dependent Protein, 2 Starch, 1 1/2 Vegetables, 1 Fat