Light up your burger! Bean patties are much lower in fat and have more fiber than beef patties. And they are cheap and easy to cook in the house – and we promise they are just as satisfying, especially with a fine creamy topping.
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup crushed tortilla chips or panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ avocado
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (green and/or red)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat buns, halved and toasted
- Step 1
- Combine beans, half a clove, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until all the beans are gone. Combine crushed chips (or panko), oats, pumpkin seeds, two tablespoons of cilantro, and egg.
- Step 2
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts, then shape it into patties. Place on a plate and refrigerator for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup remaining cilantro, remaining garlic, yogurt, avocado, lemon juice and water in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix the lime zest with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Step 4
- Grease a large non-stick coating over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 6 minutes. Turn over, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until golden brown and warm, 5 to 6 minutes more. Serve the burgers with buns, topped with 1/4 cup of chopped cabbage each. Serve the remaining barrel on the side.
Serving Size: 1 Burger, 1 Bun and 1 Cup Slaw Pack: 368 calories; protein 16g; carbohydrates 54.7g; diet fiber 15.3g; sugar 7.2g; 11.4g fat; saturated fat 2.1g; cholesterol 47.9mg; vitamin a iu 401.8IU; vitamin c 35.2mg; folate 139.2mcg; calcium 152.7mg; iron 4.2mg; magnesium 107.6mg; potassium 796.7mg; sodium 711.7mg.