- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar or sugar substitute blend equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar (see Tip) (Optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (Optional)
- ½ cup chopped toasted almonds or walnuts (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom sides with 1/2 inch top of an 8x4x2-inch bread pan; set aside. In the middle mix together flour, 3/4 cup, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl combine egg, milk, oil, lemon peel, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Add the egg mixture at a time so that the flour mixes. Stir until moistened (the batter should have a lump). Fold in the nuts. Put a spoon in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted close to the surface comes out clean. If desired, mix together 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon sugar. While the bread is still in the pan, brush the lemon sugar mixture over the bread. Cool in a pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. It is perfectly fine for the death of the rope. Wrap and store overnight before serving.
Serving Size: 1 Cone With Help: 140 Calories; 2.9g protein; carbohydrates 21.4g; 0.8g dietary fiber; sugar 10.4g; 5g fat; full 0.5g fat; 0.3mg cholesterol; vitamin a iu 78.5IU; vitamin c 0.8mg; folate 42.1mcg; calcium 40.5mg; iron 0.8mg; magnesium 12.7mg; potassium 65.9mg; sodium 80.3mg. Trading:
1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates, 1 Fat