The spice combination in this healthy beef recipe – cinnamon, allspice and cloves – may include pictures of apple pie, but the combo is a good addition to good recipes as well. Serve over creamy polenta or whole wheat noodles with wheat.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3-3 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Step 1
- Combine salt, cinnamon, allspice, pepper and cloves in a small bowl. Sprinkle the whole beef mixture.
- Step 2
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a slow cooker 5- to 6.
- Step 3
- Put the onion and garlic in the pan. Cook, stirring, for two minutes. Add wine and tomatoes (and their juice); bring to a boil, scrape off any brown pieces and crush the tomatoes. Add the mixture to a slow cooker and carrot and turnip.
- Step 4
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Step 5
- Remove the beef from the brewing pot and slice. Serve the beef with sauce and vegetables, garnished with basil, if desired.
Service Size: 3 Oz. Beef Vegetables and 1 cup per cup per serving: 318 calories; protein 34.7g; 12.8g carbohydrates; diet fiber 3.1g; sugar 6.2g; fat 10.7g; saturated fat 3.2g; cholesterol 98.9mg; vitamin a iu 6776.9IU; vitamin c 17.4mg; folate 26.3mcg; calcium 69mg; 3.5mg iron; magnesium 36mg; potassium 697.7mg; sodium 538.4mg. Trading:
2 Vegetables, 4 1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat