There are many famous politicians in India today. Today, men and women are very active in politics, and women play various important roles in Indian politics. Many people like politicians in India due to their good work for society.
Today in this article, we will talk about a person who has been a successful politician, a famous actress and has done good work for the welfare of society. Today we will talk about Smriti Irani.
- Real/Full Name: Smriti Malhotra (Popularly Known as Smriti Irani)
- Nick Name: Smriti
- Professions: Actress, Politician, Model
- Age: 46 Years
- Date of Birth/Birthday: March 23, 1976
- Religion: Hindu
- Nationality: Indian
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Birth Place: New Delhi, India
- Residence: Lokhandwala, Andheri West, Mumbai
- Marital Status: Married (Zubin Irani in 2001)
Smriti Irani is a well-known name in Indian Politics and the television industry. Today very few people know that Smriti Irani was a successful producer and actress before joining politics. Today there is hardly any person who does not know Smriti Irani.
Just as she was successful in her acting career, in the same way, she is also successful in her political career. She has been in the Indian Union Cabinet since May 2019 as the Minister of Women and Child Development.
Moreover, before this, she was also the Education Minister of India and Textile Minister. Last but not least, she is a member of parliament from the Amethi and a minister in the Union Cabinet. Anne Frank Biography, Early Life, Achievements, and Diary
Smriti Irani’s full name is Smriti Zubin Irani. Earlier, her name was Smriti Malhotra, and Irani was added to her name after marriage. She was born in New Delhi on March 23, 1976, into a middle-class family. She is the daughter of Ajay Kumar Malhotra (a half- Punjabi and half Maharashtrian) and Shibani Ne Bagchi (Bengali Hindu). Her father runs a courier company.
She is the eldest daughter of her parents and has two younger sisters. Smriti Irani was a member of RSS in childhood (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh), and her grandfather was an RSS Swayamsevak.
Moreover, her mother had been a member of Bhartiya Jana Sangh in the past. Smriti Irani knows many languages. She is fluent in multiple Indian languages, such as Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati,and Punjabi. All this has become possible because of the diverse family background of Smriti Irani.
Smriti Irani did her schooling at Holy Child Oxilium School in New Delhi. The nuns operate and run this Catholic school. Smriti Irani says that she did not have many friends during her school days, nor did she like to talk to anyone much.
She says that she spent more time reading books, and because of this, she never got much time to make friends and talk with anyone. Her favourite subject was history during her school days.
To finish her higher studies, she took admission to the School of Open Learning and completed her graduation from the University of Delhi. She started her B. Com course from here, but in 2019, she said that she had given only B.Com’s first year’s exam and did not complete her degree, which was a 3-year course.
Along with her studies, she was also very good at sports. She was interested in all sports like basketball, long jump, judo, but she loved judo more than any sports.
Smriti Irani started working soon after completing her 10th grade. She began working to support her family financially. She promoted some beauty products to earn money. Smriti Irani wanted to become a model right from childhood, and for this, she wanted to go to Mumbai to pursue her career in modelling.
Her father’s thinking was orthodox, due to which he was not advising her to go into modelling. Still, somehow, Smriti Irani made up her mind about going to Mumbai, and when she was only 20-22 years old, she came to Mumbai for her career.
Smriti Irani was one of the contestants of Miss India 1998,but she could not even reach the top 9 of the 1998 Miss India pageant and was eliminated from the competition. Moreover, Smriti Irani went to many places and started giving auditions for acting in serials and songs. After coming to Mumbai, she worked at McDonald’s to help herself financially.
After this, she appeared in the song “Boliyan” by Mika Singh, released in 1998. This was a song from the album Sawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag,and soon after this song, she got a chance to work in some television shows and serials. With time and due to her hard work, she got a chance to act in two TV series. She also hosted some shows.
She debuted in 2000 with two TV series. The name of one series was Aatish, and the name of the other series was Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal, and Star Plus broadcasted both of these TV shows. Smriti Irani won everyone’s heart with her acting. However, she became popular with Ekta Kapoor’s serial “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi”. She also appeared in the DD metro series Kavita.
In the meantime, famous director and producer Ekta Kapoor met Smriti Irani, and Smriti Irani got a chance to work in a serial of Ekta Kapoor. The title of this serial was Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi,and this was a super hit TV series.
Smriti played the role of Tulsiin this popular series. This serial was also aired on Star Plus, and soon Smriti Irani became quite popular due to this serial. She won five Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress – Popular in a row and four Indian Telly Awards. She also won many awards for her role in this Tv series.
Then in the year 2007, for some reason, Smriti Irani left this Tv series, and instead of Smriti Irani, Gautami Kapoor acted in the series. After this, Smriti Irani also worked in famous Zee TV’s Hindu mythology serial Ramayana in 2002. Smriti Irani played Sita’s character in this serial, and Nitish Bhardwaj played the role of Ram in this serial.
Smriti Irani has also co-produced many shows. One of the 2006’s show was Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Aasmaan. Smriti Irani’s Ugraya Entertainment was co-producing this show, and along with producing it, Smriti Irani also played the character of Uma in this series.
After this, in 2007, Smriti Irani produced another show called Virudh,and this serial was aired on Sony TV, and she also did the main role of Vasudha in this serial. Apart from this, Smriti Irani has produced many shows and worked in many films. And due to all these things, Smriti Irani made a place in the hearts of millions of people with her acting.
Smriti Irani is a big name in Indian politics today. As much as Smriti Irani was popular and successful in the TV industry, she is also equally popular and successful in politics. Today Smriti Irani is at that stage of politics, which even the biggest politicians could not reach.
Apart from being active in an acting career, Smriti Irani has been very active in politics. Smriti Irani joined the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party), one of India’s largest political parties, in 2003 and was elected as the Vice President of Maharashtra’s Youth Winga year later in 2004.
Furthermore, in the Lok Sabha elections held in 2004, Smriti Irani contested the election against Kapil Sibal from Chandni Chowk in Delhi. However, Smriti Irani could not win this election and lost, but the party saw her hard work and appointed Smriti Irani in the BJP central committee as an executive member.
Soon after this, Smriti Irani achieved a lot of success in politics. Smriti Irani was also appointed as the National Secretary of the party (BJP) in 2010, and in June same year, she was appointed as the President of the All India Women’s Wing of BJP.
After this, in the year 2011, in August, Smriti Irani became a member of the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat. She raises the question of women’s safety many times in her speech.
In 2014, the BJP party gave a ticket to Smriti Irani to contest the Lok Sabha elections from Amethi against Rahul Gandhi.However, Smriti Irani lost this election, and Rahul Gandhi won from here. However, this defeat was not by a big margin. Smriti Irani got 1,07,923 fewer votes from Rahul Gandhi.
Despite losing from here, Smriti Irani was appointed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 26 May 2014 as the Human Resource Development (HRD) minister of the country. She became the country’s first women education minister, but she was also criticized due to incomplete higher education.
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi reshuffled his cabinet in 2016, Smriti Irani was transferred from the Ministry of Human Resource Development to the Ministry of Textiles, and Smriti Irani was selected as the next Minister of Information and Broadcasting after one year in 2017.
Smriti Irani decided to stand against Rahul Gandhi again in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from Amethi when BJP gave her ticket to contest the election.
However, this time Smriti Irani defeated Rahul Gandhi in this Lok Sabha election and was elected as the Member of Parliamentfor the Amethi constituency. The victory of Smriti Irani from Amethi was a very big achievement for her because, from this seat, the members of the Gandhi family were winning for the last 4 decades.
Smriti Irani has been appointed as the Minister of Women and Child Development after winning the Lok Sabha elections in 2019. She was the youngest minister in the council of ministers of 2019; at that time, she was only 43 years old.
Marriage and children
riti Irani married Zubin Irani in the year 2001. By profession, Zubin Irani is a businessman. Zubin Irani was married to Mona Irani before marrying Smriti Irani in 2001. Smriti Irani and Zubin Irani have two children, a boy, and a girl.
Her son’s name is Zohar Irani, and he was born in 2001. At the same time, her daughter was born in 2003, whose name is Zoish Irani. Apart from this, Smriti Irani also has a stepdaughter named Shanelle Irani,and she is the daughter of Zubani Irani.
Controversy Related to Smriti Irani
Smriti Irani is a well-known politician in India. Millions of people in India like her, and many consider her their inspiration, mainly girls. But despite all this, Smriti Irani has faced controversies many times. Let’s look at some of her big controversies.
- Talking about the biggest controversy of Smriti Irani to date, then it is the education qualification controversy. When Smriti Irani became the Education Minister of India on May 26, 2014, the opposition and many people criticized her due to her lack of higher education. Many people and opposition parties asked her for proof of her education.
- Later, Smriti Irani said that she had taken admission in graduation course but only studied till the first year. This became a matter of controversy because many people and the opposition party believed that how can a person who is not a graduate himself become the country’s education minister.
- Due to this matter, many people protested against her and so was forced to resign from the post of education minister. Later in 2016, due to this controversy, Narendra Modi made her the Textile Minister from Education Minister.
- Smriti Irani was surrounded by controversy in the Rohit Vemula case too, and this controversy is one of the second biggest controversies of Smriti Irani. Rohit Vemula was a student at Hyderabad University, and he was also a Ph.D. scholar from the same University; from the year 2015, the University had stopped Rohit’s monthly salary, which was around Rs.25000.
- Moreover, when Rohit Vemula asked the University about the reason for the same, University said that due to the delay in the paperwork, you didn’t receive your salary. Soon after a few days, the University initiated an enquiry on Rohit and many other people since there was blame on Rohit that he assaulted Sushil Kumar, the leader of an ABVP.
- This matter got a lot of attention, and the news of this also went to the then HRD Minister and Education Minister Smriti Irani. Much more happened after this matter, and after almost 1 year of this case, Rohith Chakravarti Vemula committed suicide on 17th January 2016.
- After this, there were many protests all over India. Thus, the blame was put on Smriti Irani that she did not give her hundred percent to solve this problem and did not take any appropriate action; in this matter so Smriti Irani had to face a lot of controversy due to it.
Even though Smriti Irani has faced many controversies, she never gave up, and she faced all problems and controversies with boldness. Aly Goni Biography, (Bigg Boss 14) Net Worth, Girlfriend, Family
Smriti Irani Body Measurements / Physical Statistics
- Height in Feet Inches: 5 Feet 7 Inch
- Weight in Kilograms: 85 kg
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
Smriti Irani Education Qualifications
- School: Holy Child Auxilium School, New Delhi
- College: Delhi University’s School of Open Learning
- Educational Qualification: Not Graduate (Only completed first year in Bachelor of Commerce, and was not able to complete the three-year degree)
Smriti Irani Favorites Things and Like & Dislike
- Favorite Actor: Dharmendra, Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan,
- Favorite Color: Blue
- Favorite Food: Pizza, Gujarati Cuisines, and Chocolates
- Favorite Actress: Hema Malini and Rekha.
- Favorite Politicians:Narendra Modi and Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Smriti Irani Net Worth, House & Cars
- Net Worth: Nearly 12 Crore
- Monthly Income:More than Rs. 1.00 Lakh
- House:Andheri West, Mumbai (Apart from this, she also has many flats and houses)
- Cars: Not exactly Known